R&D Manager in Sussex
Innovation takes centre stage, and our R&D team leads the way in creating coating solutions for our customers around the world. In a fast-moving environment like ours, our R&D capability is crucial in making sure we meet the new product introduction timelines and the quality required for coatings that end up in space, battlefields, autonomous vehicles.
As a Technical Manager you’ll have responsibility for managing the technology developments within the company research team, including full line management responsibility for a team of eight chemists and physicists. The position reports directly to the CTO.
What you’ll get up to:
- Management of R&D team members
- Management of new product introduction from R&D to commercial release; qualification, testing, standard compliance and manufacturing methods
- Setting, monitoring and communication of project goals and deadlines to all team members
- Communicating results to senior management on a weekly basis.
- Use analytical expertise to provide technical insight during projects involving product/process development, manufacturing scale-up and suitable quality assurance.
- Play a leading role in the strategic development of the lab whilst ensuring it’s fit for purpose and is maintained and developed in line with current and future business requirements.
- Lead the investigation and evaluation of new technologies through proof of concept studies conducted internally and at times, in collaboration with external commercial organisations.
- Assist the team with the interpretation and reporting of experimental results.
- Manage Standard Operating Procedures / Instructions for analytical methods and equipment
- Manage training and signoff of junior member of the team on the correct laboratory procedures
- Ensure daily interaction with and between R&D team members to assess priorities and execute the assigned workload with minimal supervision.
- Master’s degree (MSc.) or post graduate qualification in a Chemistry related discipline. A 1st class BSc would also be considered if the candidate can demonstrate successful experience managing scientific teams.
- 3-4 years of experience managing R&D teams in the science based environment
- Previous laboratory experience with a good understanding of laboratory processes
- Ability to interpret and analyse complex data, make recommendations and effectively communicate findings to internal stakeholders to aid decision making.
- Experience of coordinating technically complex R&D support programmes.
- Have knowledge and interest in new technology.
- Pragmatic, solutions focused approach backed by strong technical and analytical skills.
- Good understanding of the broader business environment and wider commercial knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively across all levels and all functions of the organisation
- Strong IT skills and good presentation skills (written & verbal)
- Self-starter with a very high drive for results and able to deal with pressure, uncertainty and complexity